4.17.2008

The Hungarians

Today was a good day. Jason and I got up, and out, before the day was over. Practicing our new-found skills in international bus-riding, we took a bus the few kilometers it takes to get from here to there. First store: Thrift Store. Feeling flush with crisp new Euros, we went in to find... the Hungarians. I don't know how to explain my shock, and it took awhile to find someone who could explain the circumstances, as my Dutch is ne goot. Apparently, the last time the Hungarians came they bought all the clothes. This time it was the entirety of the small goods, which included the housewares, kitchenwares, glasswares, and knick-knacks, including several I had put back the other day (for safe keeping). Merciful heaven interveened, however and spared the one thing I most wanted, the blue ceramic bottle which had been placed decoratively in a cabinet in a different section of the store...

What followed was a comical tale of two Americans in a small Dutch town, buying cheese (with nettles) trying something that looked like sausage, buying a power converter or two and having a lovely tea.

When we returned Monique was being interviewed by someone from the Ministry for Health and Welfare. Apparently the Dutch government cares alot about its citizens because it seemed like the guy would never leave. He must have been completely devoted to his work, because he didn't acknowledge Jason or me at all, not even by making eye contact. Maybe he was just shy, or intimidated by the fact that we weren't from his country and therefore unsurveyable. I eventually fell asleep while waiting for Monique to finish up with him, which was a disaster because predictably I woke at midnight and couldn't sleep again until 6 am.